If you're moving house and handling your own packing then some items, like lamps and lampshades, can be particularly tricky. Here we show you what packing materials you will need and how to pack lamps and lampshades so that they're well protected during your move...
how to pack a lamp and lampshade
To ensure your lamps and lampshades are packed safely for travel you will need to following packing materials:
- a suitable size box
- packing tape
- packing paper
- a marker pen
Check out our tips on packing materials you'll need for moving house.
- Start by removing the bulb from your lamp.
- Next, unscrew the lamp shade. Put the bulb and shade to one side.
- Take a couple of sheets of packing paper and carefully wrap them around the base of your lamp, making sure any particularly delicate areas are well covered.
- Lay the base down flat, at an angle, on top of your packing paper. Take a couple of sheets and roll the lamp across, wrapping and tucking the paper as you go. Repeat until the lamp is fully covered.
- Wrap the wire and plug around the base then lay it back down on top of your paper and, taking another couple of sheets, wrap again until the wire and plug are also covered. Tape the paper in place if necessary.
- Next, place your lampshade in the centre of your packing paper and fold the edges of the paper in to the middle of the shade, rotating the shade as you go so each part is fully covered.
- Finally, place the bulb on top of your packing paper and wrap tightly with a couple of sheets.
- Make sure to place all items together in the same box. Tape the bulb to the lamp base if you’re worried about it getting lost and clearly label the box it goes into, marking it as fragile and even listing some of the items so your removal crew know to treat with extra care.
For more tips on how to pack for your house move check out our packing videos page.
Looking for professional packing services?
If you're worried about packing awkward and delicate items like lamps and lampshades choose a removal company that offers professional packing services.
Trained packers will use specially designed packing materials to expertly pack and wrap your belongings to minimise the risk of anything getting damaged in transit to your new home.