As we always say, organisation is the key to any successful move - especially when it comes to packing your own belongings. If you're not sure what you need to get your packing started then here's our guide to some of the key packing materials needed for a house move...
- Small boxes – for books and heavy items
- Medium boxes – for kitchenware, toys and small appliances
- Large boxes – for clothes, linen and light but large items
- Picture cartons – for paintings and things in frames
- Extra small box – for odds and ends to keep safely like TV remotes and keys
- Unprinted packing paper – for wrapping fragile items and stuffing gaps in boxes to prevent movement
- Bubble wrap – for extra padding on fragile items
- Tape – wide, strong tape to seal the box
- Permanent Market – to label boxes (and labels if you don’t want to write directly on them) Scissors and/or pocket knife
Make sure you’ve cleared a surface at a good height (to avoid extra strain on your back) with enough space to wrap your items easily before placing in boxes.
You can find more information on packing - including videos showing how to use the packing materials needed for a house move - in our packing archives.