European Removal companies may offer slightly different services depending on the type of company they are - for example, a man and van service may offer transport only whereas a full-service removal company may offer a full suite of services to support your move.
Given the complexities of a move to Europe vs. a move within the UK (customs clearance etc.) it is strongly recommended to use a professional full-service removal company for moves to mainland Europe.
The range of services on offer from typical European Removal companies include:
- European Standard Packing (to protect items on the longer journey to Europe)
- Loading and transport
- Unpacking (sometimes an optional upgrade).
- European standard packing materials (including specially designed crates for fragile or valuable items)
- Storage (short or long term, at origin or destination).
- Vehicle moving
- Handyman services to dismantle or re-assemble complex items
- Washing machine disconnection/reconnection
- Booking parking (if you're in a permit area)
- Arranging cleaning, technology set up or other helpful third-party services like car hire or currency exchange.
Some removal companies may even have a Relocation Services team that can help you find a new home, relocate your pets or help you with the inventory check when you move into/out of a rental home!
Packing services for European Removals
Whilst many people are tempted to do their own packing to keep costs down it's worth remembering that it can be time consuming and stressful. Bad packing can also increase the risk of your items being damaged during the journey, especially on a European move where the distance is longer and there will be a sea or rail crossing creating additional movement risks.
Most moving companies will offer a number of options for packing services provided by trained European standard packers. These may include:
- Full packing services (movers will pack all your items and wrap all your furniture).
- Fragile packing service (movers will wrap all your furniture but will only pack fragile items e.g. glass, ornaments, china, pictures as selected. You will pack everything else).
- Non-fragile packing service (movers will wrap all your furniture but will only pack non-fragile items e.g. books, clothing, toys, sundries. You will pack any fragile items).
- Self-packing service (movers will wrap all your furniture but you will pack all the loose items into boxes).
- Crating (for special care/high-value items).
For customs or insurance reasons, some packing services are not available for certain countries but your mover will be able to advise this at the point of the survey.
Ready to find a European Removal company?
Find out how to find and book the right company for you with our European Removals Guide