European Removal companies take away some of the stress of moving from you by taking on the physical and planning elements of a European Move. They will typically pack, load transport and deliver your household furniture and personal belongings so they arrive safely and securely at your new home with as little stress for you as possible.
Since Brexit moving to mainland Europe from the UK (or vice versa) is a bit more complicated than moving house within the UK. Not only do your belongings need a little extra protection due to the length of journey, but there are Customs rules and regulations that must be followed and documentation to complete in advance to make sure everything can be imported smoothly without additional charges or problems.
A good European Mover will take on all the physical elements of your move that you'd like them to (packing, loading, transport etc.) and will guide you through the process for everything else to take away that stress for you and ensure it's all done properly.
Moving to a new country is hard, so to keep your move to Europe as stress-free as possible and keep your costs as low as possible you'll need to get assistance from expert removal companies.
Your European movers will typically help with the following:
Before the move
- Arrange a pre-move survey , either at your home or by video, to understand how much you want to move, your individual move situation (timescale, budget etc.) and make sure you have the right resources in place. This helps everything to run smoothly in the time you need it to happen. For example the right size truck, the number of moving crew and packing materials.
- Help you plan everything for the move and coordinate your dates so everything runs smoothly.
- Provide packing materials including crates for anything valuable or fragile (if you're packing your own items they may deliver these ahead of move day).
- Give you advice and assistance in preparing for the move from booking parking to telling you what items you might not be allowed to take with you and help you complete all the documentation and customs forms for when your goods arrive.
On packing day(s)
- A trained and experienced team of professionals will arrive at your house and (depending on the company you choose) usually, they will be in uniform and in a liveried truck. (TIP: Make sure to ask your removal company if your team will be specially trained in packing for European Moves as a higher level of skill is required than UK moving).
- The team will introduce themselves and walk around the property to make sure they understand everything that's important to you and to explain how they will work.
- Protect any part of your house that might be at risk of damage, for example putting down floor protection if it's needed.
- Pack and wrap your furniture and effects. Smaller move items will be wrapped and loaded into carboard cartons and if you've asked for the service to be included some special items may be overcased in a wooden crate for extra protection.
- Load your items into the vehicle for transportation by road.
- Provide insurance in case of any accidental damage during the move.
Once your belongings have departed your removal company will typically:
- Keep you up to date with progress and keep you informed of key milestones like customs clearance.
- Some companies may have systems so you can track your own move online or through an app.
- Make arrangements for your belongings to clear customs (if this is required for your destination) and to be delivered to your home if this has not already been arranged in advance.
- Clear your items through customs
- Deliver items to your new home
- Depending on the services you have selected they may unpack items from cartons for you and take away all the used packing material and debris.
ready to find European moving companies?
Check out our ultimate European Removals Guide