Removals to Germany since Brexit are a little more complicated, so it's more important than ever to use an experienced European Removals company.
Before Brexit it was fairly simple to move household goods from the UK to Germany, and anywhere in mainland Europe. As goods moved freely within the EU there was no regulatory requirements - no paperwork required, typically no duties or tax applicable and no restricted or prohibited items that you couldn't take with you.
Now that the UK has left the EU household goods removals have must meet the same import regulations as moves from the rest of the world. European Removal Companies need to provide additional documentation and follow new customs procedures to move their customers' belongings into Germany.
Can I still move my household goods to Germany after BREXIT?
Yes! It is still completely possible to move your household goods with you if you relocate to Germany, albeit a little more complicated. A good removal company will have put systems in place and trained their staff so that everything still runs smoothly.
At Bournes, we invested heavily in learning about the new requirements, setting up and testing the new systems for customs processes, training our team and providing guidance to our customers. This means we have already completed many successful removals to Germany since the new processes are in place.
Do I need a removal company to move to Germany?
In our opinion hiring a professional removal company is incredibly important for removals to Germany since Brexit.
The complexity of the processes required to officially move goods to Germany means that this would be incredibly challenging for a private individual or inexperienced company to complete. If you get this wrong you could face large bills for duties and taxes or other penalties in future.
What will my removal company need to do to move me to Germany?
When you work with a professional European Removals company you should expect them to:
- Have the right permits - including a valid EORI number
- Register on the required systems to submit applications for accessing the Kent Ports / Tunnel AND to make customs declarations and receive approvals.
- Be correctly insured and carrying the right documents - personal, shipment and vehicle documents - to travel and drive in Germany.
- Submit the correct customs documents on your behalf for export from the UK and import into Germany.
- Advise you on duties and taxes and if they may be applicable for your move based on your individual circumstances.
- Advise you on restricted and prohibited items that should not be included in your move.
- Understand and plan schedules to allow for the additional time now required to clear customs.
What paperwork do I need to move my household goods to Germany after BREXIT?
Your removal company should advise you on the documents you need to provide and how to complete any forms. They should check that these are all in place in plenty of time to avoid delays or issues with your move.
At the date of publishing this article the documents you need to provide are:
- Copy of your passport
- Customs registration form 0350
- Notice of foreign authority about a change of residency showing how long the shipper lived outside the EU (Notice of Departure = Abmeldebescheinigung) OR A letter from a third party (employer / German Embassy) confirming that the shipper has lived or planned to live more than 12 months in a foreign country.
- Confirmation of Registration of the shipper at new residence in Germany (Anmeldebestaetigung)
- Copy of home rental contract (if possible)
- Contract of employment (if possible)
- Valued Goods Inventory List
- A letter signed by the shipper stating that firearms, alcohol, tobacco, cigarettes, tea & coffee are not included in the shipment (helpful but not mandatory)
There are additional documents required by customs that your removal company will complete.
At Bournes we provide a dedicated European Move Manager. When you book they will let you know the documents you will need and provide you blank copies of any forms you will need to fill out. They will guide and advise you every step of the way to make sure everything runs smoothly.
Are duties and taxes applicable for a move to Germany after BREXIT?
You don't normally need to pay duties and taxes to import household goods when you are moving your main residence to Germany but this depends on meeting certain criteria.
At the date of publishing this article duty-free entry is granted providing that:
- The shipper has lived outside of the EU (or planned to live) for more than 1 year.
- The goods are imported within 1 year of moving to Germany.
- The household goods or vehicles have been owned and used by the shipper for at least 6 months prior to departure to Germany.
- The goods will be used in Germany for the same purposes as outside the EU AND
- They must stay in the shipper's possession for at least 12 months after import.
Duty free import can only be granted by German Customs Authorities.
Duties and taxes are applicable in some other cases, for example for second homes, commercial businesses or tobacco and alcohol. Visit the FIDI Customs Guide for Germany to find out about the application of duties and taxes for specific items or circumstances.
Is Covid-19 affecting removals to Germany?
Providing proper planning is in place the Covid-19 pandemic shouldn't be having a bit impact on your move. This includes making sure the removal company knows what is required regarding driver testing and travel restrictions.
You will need to have all your documents in place before a delivery date can be confirmed and your shipment leaves the UK to avoid further charges and delays on arrival.
Want to know more?
To find out more, get answers to your specific questions or to get a quote please just get in touch. Our team will be happy to talk you through the process for your individual situation.