It's a bit more complicated to move your household goods to Belgium since the UK left the EU, which makes it more important than ever to use an experienced European Removals company.
Before Brexit it was fairly simple to move household goods from the UK to Belgium. Goods moved freely within the EU and so there were no customs processes to follow, no special paperwork, typically no duties or taxes and there weren't restrictions on what items you could take with you.
Now that the UK has left the EU, household goods removals from the UK into EU countries such as Belgium must meet the same import regulations as moves from the rest of the world. European Removal Companies need to provide additional documentation and follow new customs procedures to move their customers' belongings from the UK to Belgium.
Can I still move my household goods to Belgium after BREXIT?
Yes! The good news is it is still completely possible to move your household goods with you when you move to Belgium. A good removal company will have put systems in place and trained their staff so that everything still runs smoothly.
At Bournes, we invested heavily in learning about the new requirements, setting up and testing the new systems for customs processes, training our team and providing guidance to our customers. This means we have already completed many successful removals to Belgium since the new processes are in place.
Do I need a removal company to move to Belgium?
Hiring a professional removal company to move your household goods when you relocate from the UK to Belgium is more important than ever.
The complexity of the processes required to legally import your belongings into Belgium would make a move very challenging for a private individual or inexperienced company. If you get this wrong you could face large bills for duties and taxes or other penalties in future.
What will my removal company need to do to move me to Belgium?
When you work with a professional European Removals company you should expect them to:
- Have the right permits - including a valid EORI number
- Register on the required systems to submit applications for accessing the Kent Ports / Tunnel AND to make customs declarations and receive approvals.
- Be correctly insured and carrying the right documents - personal, shipment and vehicle documents - to travel and drive in Belgium.
- Submit the correct customs documents on your behalf for export from the UK and import into Belgium.
- Advise you on duties and taxes and if they may be applicable for your move based on your individual circumstances.
- Advise you on restricted and prohibited items that should not be included in your move.
- Understand and plan schedules to allow for the additional time now required to clear customs.
What paperwork do I need to move my household goods to Belgium after BREXIT?
Your removal company should advise you on the documents you need to provide and how to complete any forms. They should check that these are all in place in plenty of time to avoid delays or issues with your move.
At the date of publishing this article the documents you need to provide are:
- 12-months attestation issued either by your employer or by the local consulate/embassy of the country of origin, showing that the consignee has resided/worked at least the last 12 months, prior to moving to Belgium, outside the EC. The attestation must especially show that shipper has not been in any of the EC countries the last 12 months prior to moving to Belgium and the length of his stay in the country of departure
- Declaration of residence in Belgium issued and stamped by the Town Hall showing that the consignee has registered in Belgium less than 6 months prior to the arrival of goods or is in the process to obtain registration in Belgium (=model 2 form ) ( copy id-cards or work permits are not accepted by the customs authorities )
- Customs Import Declaration form
- Valued Inventory List
There are additional documents required by customs that your removal company will complete.
At Bournes we provide a dedicated European Move Manager. When you book they will let you know the documents you will need and provide you blank copies of any forms you will need to fill out. They will guide and advise you every step of the way to make sure everything runs smoothly.
Are duties and taxes applicable for a move to Belgium after BREXIT?
Typically there are no duties and taxes to import household goods to Belgium when you are moving your main residence, but this depends on meeting certain criteria like what you are taking and your individual circumstances.
At the date of publishing this article duty-free entry is granted providing that:
- You are importing your personal belongings within 12 months after your
date of arrival in Belgium.
- You have lived abroad for at least 12 months prior to arrival in Belgium.
Duties and taxes are applicable in some other cases, for example for second homes, commercial businesses or tobacco and alcohol. Visit the FIDI Customs Guide for Belgium to find out about the application of duties and taxes for specific items or circumstances.
Is Covid-19 affecting removals to Belgium?
Providing proper planning is in place the Covid-19 pandemic shouldn't be having a bit impact on your move. This includes making sure the removal company knows what is required regarding driver testing and travel restrictions.
You will need to have all your documents in place before a delivery date can be confirmed and your shipment leaves the UK to avoid further charges and delays on arrival.
Want to know more?
To find out more, get answers to your specific questions or to get a quote please just get in touch. Our team will be happy to talk you through the process for your individual situation.