THE MOST frequently asked question from people regarding house removal costs and working out how to get their belongings to their new home is "how much does a removal company cost?".
The typical cost of using a removal company for a 3 bedroom house is from around £555 if you are doing your own packing and moving up to 25 miles, or from around £815 if you want the removal company to do the packing for you. (Based on removals in the South East of England).
At Bournes, we move thousands of people in London, Kent and Sussex each year, all with varying requirements and budgets.
The important thing to understand is that the cost of using a removal company will vary for each move, and depends on several factors which are explained further below, but here are some average estimated removal company costs in the South East to give you a rough idea:
Typical estimated cost of removal companies:
This doesn't include additional services like dismantling and re-assembling. Find out more about how the cost of removals is calculated below to see what else you might need to allow.
• 2 bedroom house typical removal costs
Self pack from £370 or from £545 with packing service
• 3 bedroom house typical removal costs
Self pack from £555 or from £815 with packing service
• 4 bedroom house typical removal costs
Self pack from £705 or from £1040 with packing service
• 5 bedroom house typical removal costs
Self pack from £920 or from £1440 with packing service
• 6 bedroom house typical removal costs
Self pack from £1030 or from £1680 with packing service
If you want to work out your personal guide price for removals in South East England you can get a free, no obligation fixed removals quote.
How much could my REMOVAL SERVICES cost?
The cost of using a removal companies varies for each move.
The overall price of removal services is not just based on the size of your house or distance you are moving - it is always dependent on a whole range of issues unique to the customer and their specific requirements. That's why we always recommend booking an in home move consultation to get your personal, free, no obligation quote.
Every customer, every move and every removal company is different.
What determines the cost of a moving company?
Moving company costs are usually based on several factors including:
- Volume - overall volume of your belongings to be moved, usually in cubic feet. This is important as it determines a) the size of vehicle required for your move b) how long it will take a crew to pack/ wrap and load your belongings and c) the packing materials required for your move
- Access - the access at both your origin and destination properties (for example how close a Removal Companies lorry can park to your front door, whether there are any low bridges or tight lanes to get to your property. This is important as it determines what size vehicle can be used and if any shuttle vehicle might be required to transport loads if access is tight.
- Distance Travelled – between your origin and destination property, this is important as it determines the costs for transport
- Additional Services - the service elements you select i.e. full or part packing, handyman services, temporary storage or, dismantling of items
- Special Care Items – any special care items that might require a little extra protection for example crating for a precious picture, grandfather clock or extra wrapping for highly sentimental items.
- Special Handling Items – any items requiring special handling for example items that might need to be removed via a window, overweight items requiring crane’s or special lifting equipment etc
- Moving Day - The day you move will affect the price that you are charged. For example, moving on the first or last day of the month will cost more because moving companies are extremely busy on these two days.
Moving costs will also vary between moving companies depending on the levels of service they provide. With smaller Man and Van style companies you can expect to pay less compared to removal firms who are members of professional associations such as the British Association of Removers however remember the levels of service you receive may vary.
An interesting study...
According to a removal company survey by Rightmove, on average most home movers had a pretty accurate idea of the cost of moving.
The majority of respondents offered a reasonably accurate ballpark figure. but the range of guesses among those asked varied considerably, especially depending on whether people had moved before or not. Of those guessing the price to move the contents of a 3/4 bedroom house, the answers ranged from £400 up to £2000 with average guess at removals costs being £1008 and the highest guess being £5000.
So although the average cost was nearly right enough, the range of answers given varied massively. This goes to show that there can be quite a lot of variation in pricing for the same size of house dependent on a whole range of issues unique to the customer and their specific requirements.
Want to know more?
Find out everything you need to know about finding and choosing the right removal company for you with The Ultimate Guide to Removal Companies.