So far, you've probably been concentrating your efforts on packing the contents of your house. But the packing doesn't stop there - have you thought about what to pack on the day of your move yet?
If not, then here's our guide to preparing your box of essentials when moving.
What is the Essential Moving Box?
The essentials box is a box or bag full of important, every day items that you'll need first when you arrive at your new home. The things you need or want on a daily basis, which would cause extra stress if they were packed away in boxes on the removal truck and you couldn't get hold of them quickly.
Ideally, your box of essentials needs to be kept in the car with you for the duration of the move (in case you don’t arrive at the same time as the removal company), or if it does travel with the moving company make sure it's the last box to be loaded so it can be unloaded first.
This kit keeps everything handy when you first arrive at your new home. Not having to wait for the whole van to be unloaded before you can have a glass of water or use the toilet makes unpacking much less stressful!
Everyone’s essentials will be different, so think through what you will do when you first arrive at the house and make sure you've got everything you need. Here are a few ideas of ours for what to put in your essentials box.
What to pack in your essentials box when you move house?
- Toilet Paper
- Washing up liquid
- A dishtowel and a dishcloth
- All-purpose cleaner (unopened if you can to avoid leaks!)
- Coffee/tea, milk and sugar
- Cup or glass, plate and cutlery per person
- Something for lunch or dinner (or the take out menu of your new local favourite!)
- Snacks (cereal bars, bag of crisps, chocolate bar)
- Drinks (bottles or cans of soft drink, water and a beer for when you’re done!)
- Pet food (and something to put it in)
- Radio/CD/MP3 player to entertain you during the boring unpacking
- Scissors or a penknife for opening boxes
- An emergency first aid kit
- A torch and matches/candles in case of any issues with electrics
- Pyjamas and a chance of clothes, including a towel per person
- Toiletries: Shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, toothpaste, toothbrush and hand soap
- Bin bags
- A basic tool kit
- Important documentation and paperwork for move day
If you're moving with children, then don't forget to put a few toys or books in there too, to help keep them entertained over the course of the day.
More information on getting ready for move day can be found on our Home Moves Blog, in the Preparing to Move section.