If not, then here's our guide to preparing your box of essentials when moving.
What is the Essential Moving Box?
In a nutshell, your essentials box is a box or bag full of important, every day items. The things you need or want on a daily basis, which would cause endless hassle if they were packed away in boxes on the removal truck.
Ideally, your box of essentials needs to be kept in the car with you for the duration of the move (in case you don’t arrive at the same time as the removal company), or if it does travel with the moving company make sure it's the last box to be loaded so it can be unloaded first.
This kit will help you have everything handy when you first arrive at your new home. Not having to wait for the whole van to be unloaded before you can have a glass of water or use the toilet allows you to unpack at a relatively leisurely pace.
Everyone’s essentials will be different, so think through what you will do when you first arrive at the house and make sure you've got everything you need. Here are a few ideas of ours for what to put in your essentials box.
What to Pack When Moving?
- Toilet Paper
- Washing up liquid
- A dishtowel and a dishcloth
- All-purpose cleaner (unopened)
- Coffee and tea
- Ingredients for rustling up a quick lunch or dinner
- Snacks (cereal bars, bag of crisps, chocolate bar)
- Drinks (bottles or cans of soft drink, water and a beer for when you’re done!)
- Pet food (and something to put it in)
- Radio/CD/MP3 player to entertain you during the boring unpacking
- Cup, plate, cutlery per person
- Scissors or a penknife for opening boxes
- An emergency first aid kit
- A torch
- A change of clothes, including a towel per person
- Toiletries: Shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, toothpaste, toothbrush and hand soap
- Bin bags
- A basic tool kit
- Important documentation and paperwork for move day
If you're moving with children, then don't forget to put a few toys or books in there too, to help keep them entertained over the course of the day.
More information on getting ready for move day can be found on our Home Moves Blog, in the Preparing to Move section.