Checking if your chosen companies are certified international movers or hold memberships of professional associations or other independent accreditations is a great way to check if they are reputable. This helps you gain peace of mind knowing that you're reducing the risk of losing everything to a rogue trader.
So, what should you be looking for?
Top international removals industry certifications
Some of the most recognised qualifications you should look out for are:
- FIDI FAIM
- British Association of Removers - Overseas Mover
- ISO 9001:2015
- Which? Trusted Trader
FIDI Accredited International Mover (FAIM) is the only quality management programme specifically designed for international moving.
Holders of the qualification are independently audited periodically on over 200 areas of industry best practices that have been proven to reduce the risk of things going wrong including:
- Operations - legal and safe with the right licenses, permits and compliance with data protection. It also checks the management of overseas partners.
- Procedures - how the sales and move management process is run, clarity of contracts, communication and responsiveness.
- Customer service - handling of complaints and claims, how many are received and customer feedback.
- Vehicles - suitability, cleanliness, theft protection, tracking, licenses, fire protection & safety checks.
- Qualified staff - the minimum level of experience and training
Find out more about why you should use a FIDI FAIM company for international removals.
British Association of Removers - Overseas Mover
The British Association of Removers (BAR) is the UK's leading professional association for removals and storage companies.
All BAR member companies must:
- Meet minimum quality standards, inspected annually
- Adhere to a strict code of practice
- Provide an Advance Payment Guarantee (APG) as a safety net so that in the unlikely event that we suffer financial failure before your move is completed that you have not lost any payment already made. You can view Bournes APG certificate and details or visit the BAR advance payment guarantee page to find out more, including the full terms and conditions of the scheme.
- Provide independent dispute resolution.
The BAR has members that are approved for both UK moves and Overseas Moves. Whilst a UK to UK mover might provide excellent service for local moves, they may not be qualified for international moves so important to look for members of the Overseas Moving Group.
When choosing your mover, look for the badge!
Find out more about why you should use a BAR overseas removal company.
ISO 9001 is the world's most established quality management system and helps organisations to improve customer satisfaction, staff motivation and drives continual improvement. What this means to you is the knowledge that the processes involved in your move have all been designed and independently audited to ensure you receive the best possible service, which means you can trust that your move will run smoothly and remain stress free.
Which? Trusted Traders
Most of us will recognise the Which? brand as the most trusted consumer advice organisation for buying products in the UK, but Which? also provide a directory of pre-vetted and approved traders to help with finding great service providers.
The Which? Trusted Traders scheme is an endorsement program that recognises reputable traders in all areas of the UK. View our profile on Which? Trusted Traders – Removal Company
How to choose an international removal company
Ready to learn more? Check out our International Removals Guide