Moving entails a lot more than just packing your bags. One of the most important parts of the process will inevitably be selling up. But these days there's a lot of competition, so you have to be on top of your game when looking for ways to sell your house and stand out from the crowd. So what can you do to speed up the process and get your house shipshape? Read our top house selling tips for more information...
1. Target Audience: Think about who is likely to want to buy your house. If it’s a family home then focus on showcasing all of the points that a family might want. For a professional couple, you might want to turn a second bedroom into home office.
2. De-clutter and de-personalise: Belive it or not, this is one of the best ways to sell your house. While you might love your pictures, ornaments and keep-sakes, they won’t actually mean anything to anyone else. People like to be able to imagine themselves living in the space they’re viewing, so getting rid of all your clutter and putting things into storage will maximise not only the space you have, but also people’s potential to see it as their home.
3. Freshen up: Bathroom a bit shabby? Kitchen need a clear-out? Giving walls a fresh lick of paint (toning down strong colours in particular), putting new lino down in the kitchen, fixing leaks or cracks and re-tiling or simply even re-grouting existing tiles in the bathroom all make a big difference to potential buyers.
4. Clean and clear: Not got the budget to redecorate? Focus on making your home spotless, paying particular attention to kitchens and bathrooms, which need to be inviting and hygienic. Clean the carpets and sofa covers, put clean tea towels out in the kitchen, make sure your dishwasher, fridge and oven are all spotless and hang out fresh towels in the bathroom. Make sure all entrances and exits are clear of clutter and tidy any built-in cupboards and wardrobes. Little things make a big difference.
5. First impressions: The outside of your home is just as important as the inside. People will judge your property from the minute they turn up at it, so make sure your front garden is well maintained. Fix any broken gates or fences and weed the pathway. Clean the front door and porch and re-touch any paintwork.
6. Pets: You might love your pets but that doesn’t mean everyone else will. Keep animals under control during viewings – or better yet, confine them to one room – and always make sure they haven’t left any mess or smell behind.
7. Mood lighting: One of our top house selling tips is the simplest of all - and it won't cost you a penny (other than in electricity!). To create ambience and make your house look cosy and inviting, make sure you set the lighting in each room according to the time of day the viewing is taking place. This is particularly important during the winter, when people might not get to see the house in daylight.
8. Bedroom: If nothing else, make sure you pay particular attention to your bedroom. Bedrooms add more value to a property than any other room, and studies suggest that 60% of people move to gain extra bed space - so focusing on this room is really important if you're looking for cheap and easy ways to sell your house. Pay particular attention to the master bedroom, buying new curtains and bedding, cleaning out your wardrobes and making sure that there is space to walk around each side of the bed.
If you’re selling up and need some extra storage space then click here to find out more.