The complexities of moving household goods to Switzerland from the UK since Brexit has made it more important than ever to use an experienced European Removals company.
It was fairly simple to move household goods from the UK to Switzerland before Brexit. Goods moved freely within the EU and whilst we were a member there were no customs processes to follow, no special paperwork, typically no duties or taxes and there weren't restrictions on what items you could take with you.
Now that the UK has left the EU, household goods removals from the UK into Switzerland and other EU countries must meet the same import regulations as moves from the rest of the world. European Removal Companies need to provide additional documentation and follow new customs procedures to move their customers' belongings from the UK to Switzerland.
Can I still move my household goods to Switzerland after BREXIT?
Yes! The good news is it is still completely possible to move your household goods with you when you relocate to Switzerland. A good removal company will have done their research, adapted and put systems in place and trained their staff so that everything still runs smoothly.
At Bournes, we invested heavily in learning about the new requirements, setting up and testing the new systems for customs processes, training our team and providing guidance to our customers. This means we have already completed many successful removals to Switzerland since the new processes are in place.
Do I need a removal company to move to Switzerland?
Hiring a professional removal company to move your household goods when you relocate from the UK to Switzerland is more important than ever.
Officially importing your belongings into Switzerland is a complex process. It would make a move very challenging for a private individual or inexperienced company and if you get this wrong you could face large bills for duties and taxes or other penalties in future.
What will my removal company need to do to move me to Switzerland?
When you work with a professional European Removals company you should expect them to:
- Have the right permits - including a valid EORI number
- Register on the required systems to submit applications for accessing the Kent Ports / Tunnel AND to make customs declarations and receive approvals.
- Be correctly insured and carrying the right documents - personal, shipment and vehicle documents - to travel and drive in Switzerland.
- Submit the correct customs documents on your behalf for export from the UK and import into Switzerland.
- Advise you on duties and taxes and if they may be applicable for your move based on your individual circumstances.
- Advise you on restricted and prohibited items that should not be included in your move.
- Understand and plan schedules to allow for the additional time now required to clear customs.
What paperwork do I need to move my household goods to Switzerland after BREXIT?
Your removal company should advise you on the documents you need to provide and how to complete any forms. They should check that these are all in place in plenty of time to avoid delays or issues with your move.
At the date of publishing this article the documents you need to provide are:
- A clear copy of your passport: photo page and visa (if applicable) to include all accompanying family members
- Residents permit
- Copy of employment contract
- Copy of rental agreement/property title
- Registration certificate from the town hall
- Original 1844 form (attached) – printed and signed. Please note: Customs require the original signed copy which must be handed to our crew on the day of packing. Failure to do so may result in delayed delivery.
There are additional documents required by customs that your removal company will complete.
At Bournes we provide a dedicated European Move Manager. When you book they will let you know the documents you will need and provide you blank copies of any forms you will need to fill out. They will guide and advise you every step of the way to make sure everything runs smoothly.
Are duties and taxes applicable for a move to Switzerland after BREXIT?
Typically there are no duties and taxes to import household goods to Switzerland when you are moving your main residence, but this depends on meeting certain criteria like what you are taking and your individual circumstances.
At the date of publishing this article duty-free entry is granted providing that:
- The imported goods have been in use and possession by the shipper for at least 6 months prior to shipping.
- The goods are imported within 24 months from the change of residence to Switzerland.
- Any 2nd / additional shipments must be noted upon the main import of household goods, and must also arrive within 24 months of relocation.
Duties and taxes are applicable in some other cases, for example for antiques, second homes, commercial businesses or tobacco and alcohol. Visit the FIDI Customs Guide for Switzerland to find out about the application of duties and taxes for specific items or circumstances.
Is Covid-19 affecting removals to Switzerland?
Providing proper planning is in place the Covid-19 pandemic shouldn't be having a bit impact on your move. This includes making sure the removal company knows what is required regarding driver testing and travel restrictions.
You will need to have all your documents in place before a delivery date can be confirmed and your shipment leaves the UK to avoid further charges and delays on arrival.
Want to know more?
To find out more, get answers to your specific questions or to get a quote please just get in touch. Our team will be happy to talk you through the process for your individual situation.