Due to its sheer size and number of inhabitants, there’s no one way to define the Californian lifestyle – except simply to say, there is quite literally something for everyone. From city dwellers to beach goers and country bumpkins, the beauty of moving to California is that you can pick the part that best suits your requirements...
What you will notice, however, is that due to the excellent year-round climate, pretty much everything is geared up for an outdoor lifestyle. From horse riding and surfing on the beach to white water rafting, kayaking, road tripping and even snowboarding, being active is a way of life here.
Once you arrive, you might want to ease yourself into your new life by visiting some of California’s best-loved tourist attractions, including:
Things to see and do in California
1. Lake Tahoe: One of California’s major tourist attractions, Lake Tahoe is perfect for those craving a break from the Mediterranean climate. Beautiful snow-topped mountains make this the perfect getaway for avid ski fans, while the crystal clear lakes are best appreciated aboard a kayak or canoe. During summer months, all manner of water sports can be enjoyed. As gambling is legal on the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe, this is also a popular casino destination.
2. Yosemite National Park: Another one for the outdoor types, Yosemite National Park is great for those who enjoy an active lifestyle. From walking, cycling, rock climbing sailing, rafting and even skiing, there’s something for every age and taste to have a go at here. Why not make the most of it by camping over for a few nights?
3. Napa Valley: With “The World’s Best Food and Wine Destination” on your new doorstep, it would be hard to resist a visit. Over 4.5 million people descend on the Napa Valley each year to indulge in some of the finest delicacies that California has to offer. And who can blame them? With breathtaking views and mild weather, this is the perfect place to relax and revel in your new atmosphere.
4. Pacific Beach: Not just (as the name suggests) a beach but a whole neighbourhood, Pacific Beach is a great all-round destination for locals and tourists alike. There’s plenty to see and do here, from typical beach activities to shopping, eating and even clubbing.
5. Universal Studios, Hollywood: If glitz and glamour is more your thing than surfing and sailing, you might want to make this place your first port of call. Short of going to the Hollywood Hills, this is the best way to soak up some of the glamour and sophistication that California is best known for.
For help organising your move to California, check out our International Removal pages.